Yet another salad creation made with tahini, chickpeas and carrots. The variations are endless. This one is another winner and it is super easy to make. Toss it together and serve on a bed of greens, add it to a sandwich, or serve it with cut up veggies as an appetizer. It is simple, versatile, and yummy. The base of the recipe comes from The Simple Veganista. As usual, I added, subtracted and mixed it all up.
(image taken from The Simple Veganista)
Curried Chickpea Salad
- 2/3 cup fresh tahini
- 3 tbs lemon juice (or juice of one lemon)
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 5 green onion/scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or cashews
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 1/2 avocado, sliced
- For the sauce: In a small bowl whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, curry powder, garlic powder and sea salt. The mixture will be thick. Slowly pour in the water (a few tbs at a time) and whisk until you reach a consistency that is slightly pourable but still thick. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas (about three cups) and place them in a large mixing bowl. Using a large fork, mash about half of the chickpeas. Remove the excess skins that appear in the bowl.
- Add the shredded carrots, raisins, scallions, nuts and cilantro and mix together.
- Pour the dressing on top and mix until the veggies are lightly coated.
- Place the avocado slices on top of the salad with a bit of salt, pepper, and extra cilantro flakes. Serve, as suggested above, on a bed of greens or any way you like.