Yes, you read correctly, black bean brownies. Here is a gluten-free, flour-less, low fat brownie that won’t spike your blood sugar. Corey says he can taste the black beans (in a good way) but most of my testers couldn’t guess the secret ingredient. In fact, I just attended a picnic and these brownies were the first to go–kids were drooling. The initial recipe comes from the blog Skinnytaste. I stayed fairly true to their recipe but added in some coconut yogurt to make the texture a bit more moist. It is nice to have brownies you can feel really good about eating, right?
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 14 oz can of low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained (a little less than 2 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened soy milk (or dairy, skim, almond)
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt (or regular yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground coffee or instant coffee
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, or a chocolate bar chopped into small pieces
1.Turn oven to 175 C or 375 F. Grease a 9″x 5″ (or 9″ x 9″) baking pan.
2. Place rinsed beans, eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, oil, soy milk, yogurt, balsamic vinegar, baking powder, baking soda and ground coffee into a bowl. Blend until smooth.
3. Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate bar).
4. Pour mixture into greased pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes or until just cooked through.