Portobello mushrooms are always best when roasted on a grill, but you can still make a pretty tasty burger with an oven. My mom always makes an excellent marinade for our summer BBQ’s. The version I used is below. I like to pair the mushrooms with fresh avocado, baby spinach, roasted peppers, cashew cream, and roasted rolls.
photo by Corey Harrower (pictured here with Jenny’s Carrot Beetroot Salad)
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms (cleaned to your liking)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (invest in good balsamic, you won’t be disappointed)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 fresh rolls
- Roasted red pepper (either canned or make your own)
- Baby spinach
- Cashew Cream (see Zucchini Fritters and Cashew Cream post)
- Sliced Avocado
- Place all the ingredients (except the mushrooms) into a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the mixture into a large plastic bag and add the mushrooms. Mix it all up and let the mushrooms marinade for at least 30 minutes before cooking. (I try to leave them for a few hours.)
- Preheat oven to around 350 F or fire up the grill. When the oven is ready place the mushrooms on a baking sheet (or on an oven rack) and cook for about 5 -10 minutes each side. (Do the same on a grill).
- Slightly toast your roll and then layer up you ingredients with a big dollop of cashew cream on top and dig in.