This is an amazing vegan substitute for any kind of cream. It is supposedly linked to sour cream but if you use a bit less water it would make a nice cream cheese substitute. It works as a great topping for burgers or sandwiches. It even tastes good with Rold Gold Tiny Twists. This recipe is straight from the Coconut and Quinoa blog that I love. The photo is by Stephen Johnson.
Cashew Lime Sour Cream
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 4 to 6 hours (or overnight)
- Zest of one lime (I have made it without this and it was still great)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons filtered water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Drain and rinse cashews and place in an upright blender. Add remaining ingredients (excluding the lime zest).
- Blend until completely smooth and creamy, scraping sides as necessary.
- Season to taste and add reserved lime zest.
- Pulse to combine and pour into a bowl.
- Place in the fridge for an hour or until ready to serve to let it settle.
NOTE: Sour cream will last 2 to 3 days in an airtight container.