(image taken from Smitten Kitchen)
A super easy and tasty way to use up the extra zucchini you have left in your fridge–or Vermonters, yet another way to serve the over abundant vegetable with a new disguise. The cream is a must if you have raw cashews available.
This recipe is enough to make about 6 small patties. I would suggest doubling it if you are serving more than two people.
Zucchini Fritters (a mixture I created from a few different online recipes)
- 2 grated zucchini
- 1/2 grated carrot
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 egg (not totally necessary if you are trying for vegan fritters, but it helps them to adhere if you are ok with eggs)
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (or whatever flour you have on hand)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs ground flax seeds (not necessary but adds a nice health benefit)
1. Grate zucchini and carrot and drain water from the in colander. Squeeze remaining water out of the mixture and dry with a paper towel after about 10-15 minutes of draining.
2. Sift together flour and baking powder.
3. Combine: onion, garlic, flax (if using), egg, spices, dry zucchini and carrot.
4. Slowly fold in dry flour mixture.
5. Fry each side crisp (Corey likes them quite thin and crispy-I don’t mind the soft inside).
Cashew Cream from Koko’s Kitchen
- 1 cup raw cashews (soak overnight in filtered water to make extra creamy)
- 3/4 cup water
- lemon zest from one lemon
- 2tbs of lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Blend all the ingredients to desired consistency. Taste, and adjust if necessary.
(image from Koko’s Kitchen)